Thursday, January 22, 2009

Car Thought

In the past six weeks, I've spent over $2,000 on my car. As a result of this experience, I find myself oscillating between two thoughts: attempting to continue to drive my Jeep Grand Cherokee - it is paid off and that feels good, or purchasing a good, pre-owned car with fewer miles - while I might have a car payment, my hope is that I wouldn't have a regular mechanic bill.

I decided to keep driving the Jeep while keeping my eyes open for my car of choice, a used Subaru Forester with less than 60,000 miles, a sunroof, and a price less than $9,500. After much research, I can happily report that such things do exist.

Much advice has been offered in regard to shopping for a used car. I invite any that comes my way. Allow me to list a number of the suggestions that have come my way.

~ Have a clear understanding of what you can afford. If you have a loan secured at the bank, don't tell a car dealer what you've been approved for. That is none of his/her business.

~ When you go for a ride in a pre-owned car, make sure the radio is off. Listen closely to the sounds in and around the car. You should not hear any odd noises. Roll down the window and listen as the car comes to a stop, as the car takes off, and as it cruises down the road.

~ While riding in the car, sniff the air. Consider the smells you take in. Did the previous owner smoke? Did the dealer/seller attempt to cover up the smell? Does the air smell damp or like the air around a swimming pool? If so, there could be a water leak somewhere in the engine.

~ This one might surprise you, it did me. Get out of the car after driving it, bend down, and take a whiff of the tailpipe. Is there an inkling (or more) of rotten egg smell? If so, you might have a lingering catalytic converter problem. A stinky and costly issue indeed.

~ Take the vehicle out on the highway. How does it sound? Is there road noise? Does the cruise control work?

~ Find a car of the model you are looking for that has at least 30,000-50,000 more miles on it than the target mileage you are looking for. Take the vehicle for a drive. Look around inside. Check out the upholstery, the dashboard, the seats, and the comfort level. Look at the paint on the outside of the vehicle. Pay close attention to how it drives and sounds it makes. Think about the fact that this is how your car will age. Ask yourself if this is the car you want to drive.

~ Open the hood and look at the engine. What do you see?

~ Sit in the backseat. How is it?

~ Pay attention to the seats themselves. Do they fit your body? Will you be comfortable driving for long distances? Consider how your back feels. These specifics might not seem important during the short time a car is test driven, however, they will be important when you take your first road trip.

~ ALWAYS CALL THE PREVIOUS OWNER!! Dealers tend to act like this is a bit of a big deal. The protocol is that the dealer calls the previous owner in order to get permission to share the telephone number with you. Be patient and wait for that phone number. Call the previous owner and ask about the car. How did it perform? What work had to be done to it? Had it been in an accident that resulted in any amount of damage, minimal or major? When were the tires replaced? How frequently was the oil changed? Did the owners get regular tune-ups? Take all of this into consideration before the purchase.

Here is a little advice from me. . .try to have some fun with the process! Purchasing a car can be exhausting. Have a good time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Katie...I can relate to you car post as I am in pretty much the same situation (and have reached pretty much the same conclusion). The Northern Community Internet project appears to be coming along nicely. Keep up the good work! Dann