Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Christmas Morning as a Co-Parent

What worked for me might not work for you, but it sure was nice.

Last year my little one was at her dad's. It really stunk to wake up and wonder what her expression was like as she peered out of the bedroom window in search for clues of Santa's presence as well as presents.

This year was my year to have her over Christmas. I felt incredibly thankful for this, but I also couldn't help but feel a little bummed for her dad. We decided to do something a little different than many separated parents and it worked out beautifully...

Ev slept at my house, as was the original plan. Instead of Santa making two trips (one to each parent's house), he only came to my house. I woke up at 5:15 to start making the traditional caramel rolls. Her dad rolled out of his bed and drove over at 6:00. The plan was that we would all be together for the Santa gifts. It worked out great for us. The most troubling aspect of the entire plan was that we literally had to wake Evelyn up at 8:45. I couldn't believe she slept so late!

I'm not sure what will happen in the future, but this worked beautifully for us this year and it was fun to have the family together for Christmas morning.

No comments: